Weekend Recap: Freeze Drop One To Wisconsin, Sweep Minnesota

The La Crosse Freeze lost one to the Wisconsin Whalers last Wednesday but rebounded and swept the Minnesota Flying Aces Friday and Saturday.

La Crosse Freeze 2, Wisconsin Whalers 7

The Freeze came into Wednesday nights matchup looking for revenge after their loss at home to the Whalers the Sunday before.  The game started out in a 3-0 deficit for the Freeze until Ben Henderson scored on a power-play goal at the 6:37 mark in the second.  Wisconsin put up another two goals before JP Eykyn made it 2-5 at the 17:08 mark just before the second intermission.  The Whalers went on to add on anothr two goals and won the game 7-2.

Garret Matz was in net for the Freeze and saved 15/20 shots before Andrew Wagner came in relief for him down the stretch, saving 18/20.  Max McConnell got the win for Wisconsin saving 22/24 shots.

La Crosse Freeze 5, Minnesota Flying Aces 4

After a day off for Thanksgiving, the Freeze traveled to face the Minnesota Flying Aces of the West Division for the first time on the season.  Mick Nisbet and Toby Sengvongxay got the Freeze up 2-0 after one but Tre Opack scored just 17 seconds into the second to trim the lead to one.  Both teams would score twice more in the second with goals by Henderson and Jerame Schuetzle for the Freeze and Jordan Forschen and Jacob Aberwald for the Flying Aces.

The third period was quiet before Kevin Donahue tied the game up at four and forcing overtime.  The Freeze, however, prevailed in 3-on-3 hockey with Henderson scoring the game-winning goal and his second tally on the night.

Wagner picked up the victory for the Freeze saving 25/29 shots and Brady Griffin took the loss for the Flying Aces after saving 18/23.

La Crosse Freeze 4, Minnesota Flying Aces 2

It was a quiet night as far as penalties go for the two teams on Saturday, the Freeze only spending four minutes in the box and the Flying Aces only six.   Of the five power plays neither team could capitalize.  Regardless, that didn't stop either one from scoring.

Henderson started it off 16 minutes into the first, scoring his third goal in the series.  Minnesota answered back to take a 2-1 lead in into the third but it was all Freeze from there.  Schuetzle tied the game at the 9:45 mark, Dylan Goggin's goal at 17:44 gave the Freeze a 3-2 lead and Alexander Rickoff scored one for good measure on an empty-net goal with seven seconds remaining.

Both teams put 25 total shots on net with Freeze goalie Will Graves having the upper hand over Quinn Huff of the Flying Aces, saving 23/25 shots compared to 21/24 for Huff.

The Freeze are back in action this weekend against the Rochester Ice Hawks.  They'll host on Friday night at the Green Island Ice Arena but travel to Rochester on Saturday night to finish the series.